Sweet Potato and Apple Side Dish

So over the past 2 years I found I have a love for health. I dropped 75lbs and kept it off. I lift weights, run half marathons and can keep up with my kids. Over this journey I have found that I not only love baking but I also do cooking. I thought I hated it but that's because I wasn't cooking good food. All of it would taste good but it wasn't good for me food, so I felt like crap eating it. Since cooking actual food, I realized I really enjoy it. I enjoy trying new dishes, healthy and non healthy, but I like the healthy a little more....only so I don't feel so guilty for taking seconds, or polishing off the dish :)
I have learned to love coming up with new recipes, some my own, others that I change a few things to make my own. I saw a sweet potato and carrot recipe and no offense but gag, that sounds bad. It was a sweeter dish using honey and cinnamon. I thought why not apples instead? Apples with honey and cinnamon are great, sweet potatoes are filling so lets try it all together.

Lucky for all of us it's an easy sugar free, clean side dish. Something quick and easy. Add some grilled chicken with this and its a perfect meal in my book.

Recipe:
1 whole sweet potato. (peeled and cubed)
1 apple (cubed)
1 tbsp honey
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg

Put the sweet potato and apple in a pan with a little cooking spray. Let them cook for about 20 minutes together or until the sweet potato was soft. Put the honey in the microwave for 10 seconds to make it runny. Add the cinnamon and nutmeg to the honey and mix it all together then drizzle onto the apples and sweet potato mix. Let them all cook together for about 5 minutes. Then you are ready to enjoy!

Husband didn't try it but said "garf" after seeing the picture but all of my kids approved. Hubby is my picky eater. 





No comments:

Post a Comment